Teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental procedure that can enhance your teeth and improve your smile and confidence. The discoloration is common due to the exposure of teeth to staining foods and beverages. But it is curable by bleaching your teeth and whitening them to achieve the desired results. Make sure to consult with your dentist before considering a whitening procedure. You can contact any family dentist in Dacula, GA, to seek information regarding the process and book an appointment.
Despite the benefits, teeth whitening can damage your teeth if not done correctly. Make sure to follow these dos and don’ts to protect your teeth and enhance your smile.
- Make sure to brush and floss properly two times a day. This helps remove food debris and stains from your teeth and maintain your polish.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that are crunchy as they facilitate stain removal. Crunchy food items, including carrots or apples, will help you remove stains from your teeth.
- It is essential to meet your dentist regularly so that they can detect and correct any problems with your teeth.
- If you can afford cosmetic dentists, make sure to consider their services as they are professionals with a lot of experience in treating teeth.
- Use whitening versions of toothpaste, mouthwashes, and other dental hygiene equipment.
- You can use home whitening kits and save a lot of money as it is an inexpensive option compared to cosmetic dentists. The kits provide mouth guards and whitening gel. You can place the guard in your mouth and apply the gel to whiten your teeth.
- Use straws to limit the exposure of your teeth to beverages like coffee or fizzy drinks that can stain your whitened teeth.
- Remove food and beverages from your diet that can cause staining on your teeth.
- Limit your intake of acidic foods like wine, fruits, and chocolate.
- Do not abuse whitening products as the peroxide in them leads to the exposure of sensitive dentin parts of your teeth. The whitening bleach can cause increased sensitivity in teeth to hot and cold foods as it leads to the opening of pores in the teeth.
- Do not whiten your teeth if you have had any dental filling done. Additionally, it would help if you did teeth whitening on natural teeth only. People with root canal treatments and other fillings are advised to avoid whitening procedures.
- Do not use whitening products if you are pregnant or lactating, as it might harm the baby.
- Do not use whitening products if you are under 18. You must be an adult to get those procedures done.
- Avoid going too white, as it looks unnatural in real life.